By Gerard Dawson, Teacher and Parent
Parents know that spark. When a kid is fully engaged in learning, everything else falls away. Here are 5 keys to get your youngster ready to learn (even if they're in a slump)
1) Get outside for exercise
If you’re looking to help your child get re-inspired to learn, help them shake out the cobwebs with some exercise. Afterwards, they may be more open to engaging in fun, meaningful learning activities.
2) Help them make with their hands
Bake copies, build a birdhouse, or break out the legos. Try knitting, wood carving, or working in a garden.
Giving kids the opportunity to have a tactile experience and use their hands to make something can be the perfect antidote to lethargy or apathy. This can further build confidence and boost motivation.
3) Have a plan for discussing difficult emotions
A report from Vanderbilt University outlines four steps involved in helping children have emotional conversations. By following a process like this, or one that works for you and your young learner, you may help them to deal with some of the feelings that are making them reluctant towards engaging in the learning they typically enjoy.
4) Enroll your kid in a class related to their interests
Have you ever jumped out of bed early when you had a fun day planned? Kids get that same energy for learning when they get the chance to follow their interests.
Outschool is a marketplace for live video chat classes taught by independent teachers. No matter your child’s interest, you’ll find classes they love on Outschool. Get your free account today.
5) Provide space for them to unleash their creativity
As famous painter Pablo Picasso once said “art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Explore 100s of exciting art classes - everything from Cake Decorating to Pokémon Drawing - on Outschool’s catalog of live video chat classes.
Of course, it’s a frustrating experience to observe your young learner when they’re not feeling themselves. But with a toolkit of strategies and resources, you can offer encouragement, suggestions, or maybe just a hug.
Let your child’s passions lead their learning
You work hard to inspire your learner. Now, breathe a sigh of relief. With 10,000+ classes like Harry Potter-themed Chemistry to Math with Minecraft, your child gets to enjoy fun, low-pressure courses on their favorite topics.
Outschool’s live online classes fit the needs of every learner (and their families, too)!
With a range of topics, times, and class sizes, Outschool is perfect for all learners and families.
- Inspire curiosity - Go beyond the slog of traditional school with unique course topics
- Meet learning styles - Prefer to move around? Need frequent breaks? Outschool’s got you covered.
- Feel the freedom - No trips in the car, no special appointments. Just flexible courses to fit your needs.
How does Outschool work?
- Create your free account and enroll your child in one of our 10,000+ classes. Course summaries, teacher qualifications, and reviews from other parents help you decide.
- Your learner meets with the class - usually weekly - in a small group video chat. It’s as easy as Skyping with grandparents.
- Our inspiring instructors engage your child in fun, interactive lessons. Your child might be learning with students from around the world!
“He has very specific interests, and Outschool rises to that challenge better than most programs I’ve seen. The prices are also great” —Christine K.
“This gave her a chance to combine the best of both worlds: a classroom environment at home!” —Lauran G.
“Sometimes I enroll him in something a little different just to push him out of his comfort zone. I wish this existed when I was a kid.” —Kelly J